Monday, February 1, 2010

We're Gonna Dance 'Til We're Gone

Cape!

I don’t like talking about the end of the world. Other than the fact that is scares the bejeezus out of me, it just doesn’t make for pleasant conversation.

“Hey how was that show last night? What’s the weather supposed to be like this weekend? Did you hear about the end of the world? I hear it’s supposed to be pretty gnarly”

Uhhhh… No Thanks.

So please don’t talk to me about 2012 or the four horses or anything of the sort! Just don’t. I’ll get all jittery and stutter-y and nervous and won’t sleep for days. Yet, somehow, Yeasayer’s song “Final Path” has been playing nonstop on my iPod lately and I find myself wanting to break out into some kind of tribal dance to the tune talking about that very subject I so disdain. The song was recorded for their Daytotter Sessions back in ’07 and is so damn good I forgot that I nixed the end of the world topic. This is quite a feat, boys. I decided I would do a post inspired by the mental dance party I have every time I hear the yelping of Chris Keating echoing through my skull.


Cape reel 2

The look I was going for here is a mixture of Theda Bara and a Brothers Grimm fairytale character. Unfortunately, not everyone was picking up on these references. One family member remarked that I looked like Elvira. So NOT picking up what I’m putting down. I’ve been looking for an excuse to do some kind of atmospheric photo shoot with this velvet cape and what better than a photo shoot featuring a pre-apocalyptic dance party in the woods, friends? As I type this I’m getting a little twitchy at the thought…

Cape!!!

Cape- Used to belong to my grandma
Nightgown- Thrifted

Some might say I overuse the word atmospheric. Some actually have! This may be true but the truth is a lot of the things I enjoy are atmospheric. I am a big fan of atmosphere as it triggers the imagination and has the ability to transport you into a different time and place. Bring on the rolling fog, the silhouette of tree skeletons against a dark sky, a full moon in the black night, and the echoing sounds of Gregorian chants. Yes, Gregorian chants. I freakin’ love chanting. I’ve never done it myself, but it seems kinda fun in a creepy atmospheric way. Since I was a little girl I’ve loved visiting historic sites and pretending I lived back in those periods and exploring old cemeteries where I could imagine who lived here before me and what their lives were like. The great thing about atmosphere is that it allows you to tap into different parts of yourself that you ordinarily keep under wraps in your everyday lives. Think about a really great gig where the vibe totally overtook you and allowed you to lose yourself into the music and atmosphere completely. That is one of the best feelings to experience. Bottom line is- indulging in atmosphere is a form of escapism from the ordinary and I, for one, happen to think it’s necessary to do so every now and again. Ya heard? (Steps off soapbox)

No comments:

Post a Comment