Tuesday, February 2, 2010

When I Grow Up

plaid woods 6-tile
Remember how I said that it’s a rare appearance to see me without any hair decoration? This is what my naked head looks like.

I feel vulnerable right now.

I thought I’d throw a curveball seeing as it certainly wasn’t expected after my previous explanation on how rare this sighting is. I felt comfortable doing so because I knew that I wouldn’t experience any hair decoration envy in the woods. Unless, unbeknownst to be me, it is an enchanted wood in which deer prance around in berets and bows and fa la la the day away. Should this be the case, I would certainly be bewildered and frankly, quite impressed, which would leave no room for jealousy, you see? Luckily (or unluckily?) it was a regular ol’ forest.


I titled this post “When I Grow Up” because I certainly don’t view fashion through the eyes of a grown up. I always loved playing dress up and that love has never disappeared as I’ve grown older. I seem to have the same eye for how to put outfits together and the same craving for a touch of theatrics as I did when I was a kid. I used to have a glorious dress up trunk, which I think I have been unconsciously and now consciously trying to recreate within my closet walls for years. Friends have laughed at the appearance of my clothing all lined up, because it certainly is visual eye candy as far as the amount of prints are concerned.

Plaid woods 1-tile-tile
Dress: Used to be my grandma's
Plaid Jacket: Thrifted
Tights: Primark
Boots: Jeffrey Campbell

A lot of good outfits don't have to match and they don’t have to come from the trendiest clothing stores, says I!I have spent years of my life orchestrating and following through with what can only be described as rummaging projects resembling archaeological digs in attics, basements, long forgotten closets, and back rooms. I emerge myself into and consequently entrap myself in piles of boxes, bags, and bins, but I don’t care. I’m on a treasure hunt. I carefully sift through the junk waiting for hidden gems to reveal themselves. All of this effort is in the hopes of recovering clothes and accessories (and books!) to make new again, not mention to feed my ravenous appetite for nostalgic items. When these treasure are found, what a glorious victory it is! A lot of my favorite pieces in my closet are from the “Help Grandma Clear Out Her Old Stuff Project of ’08”. Luckily for myself, my grandma is a hip hip lady who happened to have saved decades of clothing, accessories, and shoes. In fact, one of those pieces is the polka dot dress above. I’ve been waiting for the right time to wear it, and at last, the time has come!

No comments:

Post a Comment